Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Coming Soon! San Diego Comic Con !

The SDCC is next month on the week of my birthday. Phoo! I will be here in ND and not there. Someday soon I'd like to attend again. My brother Stephen and I were minor members of the original staff when the con began many, many years ago.

We've met some great people through the years, though I haven't attended one for probably 25 or more years. Most memorable for me were, Kirk Allyn - the origninal Superman from the movie serials way before my time, Bob Clampett - who created many of the Warners Bros cartoon characters as well as Beany and Cecil, Harlan Ellison - one of my favorite sf writers, and topping the list was the Con's good friend and mentor, Ray Bradbury! And I only attended a few of the cons, wow! This was the first place I saw The Rocky Horror Picture Show and the outtakes from the original King Cong in reverse! Also I'll never forget Richard Corbin's Neverwhere - the debut of his Den character.

I have no idea who all will be there but if you like comics and sf and fantasy and movies about any of this stuff, you would like this. There are still amny cons i think around, but the SDCC has grown into the premier convention around.

I had the dvd of the movie Serenity which was the culmination of a tv series called Firefly. On the dvd was a feature about how the staff had attended the SDCC and found out that there was a lot more support for their cancelled show than they knew. This prompted them to make the movie.

I'm listing a link so you can check it out for yourself. Keep the Faith (as Stan Lee would say)

No comments: