Saturday, August 30, 2008

My Little Canner!


Laurie's been very busy lately. She loves canning and I'm not enough help, but I try. Pickles, Raspberry Jam, Peach Butter, Peach Butter w/ Cinnamon,3-Bean Salad, and the ever present, Pickled Beets. Also we have frozen peas, beans, and squash. Our tomatoes got a blight but some will be okay for salsa. Then, the cherry and grape tomatoes are doing great and are very sweet. It's kinda exciting. I planted a bunch of shrubs and they are doing good too. I just love living here.

5 comments:

Suzanne Lanoue said...

Sounds yummy! I love jam...hint hint! :)

Patrick! said...

HOW TO GET JAM
1) plant something
2) harvest it
3) make jam

Is this what you had in mind? LOL

JVaughan said...

I am going through this blog in reverse chronological order, and thus have already told you about going to that fair. Some of the produce I brought home with me was bought by a nice woman exhibiter there, including a _HUGE_ tomato (I could have had an even-larger one had I wished, and now recall actually paying for the one I did get). Yet, of direct relevance to this post, she gave me a jar of peaches which she had just canned the night before, and thus I can probably enjoy them at some point between when the Summer peach season ends soon and when the Winter, import, season begins in January. I look forward to it! The pickled items would not appeal to me personally.

J. V.

p.s. Given where your previous commenter in this thread lives, I expect that maybe, should she wish, she could carry out the steps you prescribed!

JVaughan said...

I forgot to mention that I used to enjoy cherry tomatoes when they grew in my mother's garden during the 1960's and possibly into the 70's, but have not had many in recent years. There is a farmers market a few blocks from where I live on weekends, and thus, were it not going to be so humid this morning, I could visit it to find out if they have any.

J. V.

Suzanne Lanoue said...

Nope :)