Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Winter drops in like a ton of bricks

Wow! It snowed all day Tuesday (12-04). We spent Monday in Devils Lake shopping for the storm. (finally found one we liked - lol). Went to work Tuesday morning. We came back Tuesday night and couldn't get down the drive. We hiked to the house and packed some clothes and grabbed our daughter, fed the horses, and shouveled our way out. Drove back to "Forks" and spent the night at Alex's. Girls went home on Thurs as the guy was finally able to plow our road. I didn't see my house until Friday night. It wasn't a lot of fun, but at least I got to work. I wouldn't have been able to if we'd stayed home. I want to wish my sister a belated Happy Birthday since this all happened around then and I haven't had access to things. Everything is white now, as we got about 5 inches. It's been down in the single digits (6 - -6) so all the snow will be here until spring unless we get a couple of days above 35.

My computer got zapped again, I don't run a lot of protection so it happens. I have a separate hard drive so if I do a system recovery I don't lose anything but the junk. I've been trying to copy all my archived MP3s onto it so I have access to them better. I'm also trying to update my music list so I can send copies to people who might be interested.

Monday morning I looked out and one of the horses was out. I got him back in but I really don't know where he got out. The charger on the fence isn't showing a ground-out and there are no breaks in the fence.

This farmer came out a few weeks ago and dug up our yard. I have to explain. There are drainage channels running through the farms. They allow low spots to drain so they can be planted. They ultimately dump into a nearby river and flow into the Red River into Canada Etc.
There are two in this area. One of them runs through my little spot of ground, crossing under my driveway. They do get filled with silt and have to be maintained. Also some really bright former residents here deceided they wanted a wetlands and blocked the drains. So it needed some work. So Aaron came out with a Catapillar and dredged out the channel. Made quite a mess of our road and such. He wasn't planning on leaving it and had arranged for someone to fix the road. The guy didn't get out, the temp dropped, some snow fell, and we have a mess. Aaron felt bad and came out and did what he could, also he improved the county plow guy's work, and moved most of the hay bales spread around our property to the side of he barn. A blessing I assure you. The great thing about all this was that when Whiskey got out, he just stayed by the barn pigging out on the bales. I hate to think where he'd have gone otherwise.

Well, It's not like we aren't ready for winter, but you can only do so much until it hits. I'll get some pictures soon.

No comments: