Thursday, July 23, 2015

My Views on Marriage

In this increasingly post-constitutional nation, We the people are constantly bombarded by the loudspeaker voice of the media.  Right/left and Religious/not.  It's hard to find a quiet space in your head to reason issues out.  Here's my thought on the Gay Marriage issue.

Understand that I have friends all over the spectrum about this issue.  Maybe they will all understand what I'm trying to say.  Some may think I'm being intolerant, some maybe too.

Here are the parts of the issue as I see them:
Gays and those who sympathize with them make two points.  One, that their lifestyle is natural and they should be able to wed as much as heterosexuals. Two, that there are times when the absolute rule of written law is applied and therefore denies significant others such things as visitation rights and inheritance.
Christians and other religious people make the point that marriage is a rite of Christian faith and that can not be applied to people engaging in behavior that is contrary to the Bible.

The gay community or it's activists often have proposed local statutes allowing gay marriage. Christian groups have tried to push a Christian marriage amendment.  Both are continually denied by the voters in America.

Right?  Wrong? And what about the new Federal statute mandating gay marriage nationally?

Here's what I think.  Marriage was originally instituted by God through the Hebrews.  I will not debate this.  Since this country's founding, marriage has not been tied to religion. Therefore, trying to define marriage by religious principals must fail.  I don't really care what the union is called, People are going to live their lives as they see fit, even if they don't get a certificate.  The debate over denial of loved ones visitation rights, etc. should be settled in favor of all people in a relationship.  Maybe a written, signed document is all that should be needed.  Compassion, right?

I'm in favor of Federalism, and states need to have their rights re-established and allowed to decide this issue internally.

Final point. I know the LGBT community is supposedly happy about the supreme court usurping state's right and federally mandating gay marriage, However, this is unconstitutional and every American citizen should be against and frightened by the abuse of our Constitution in any case.  You know that the left would be screaming murder if the court had mandated the definition of marriage in alignment of Christian principles.  What I'm trying to say, is that this LGBT victory should not and probably will not stand not on the merits of the issue, but just because of the illegal, unconstitutional way it was instituted.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

No comments: