Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Death Penalty

Okay, let's get really controversal. Should we abolish the death penalty? Sean Hannity had Will Farrell on his show, and said that he had come to agree with leftist Farrell on abolishing the death penalty. Now, most conservatives think it should be used and most liberals don't. Hannity thought it shoud still be used when there is incontrovertable evidence.

Here's my take: While seeing myself as a committed conservative, I agree that we should not use it. Here is why. We are put here to accept Jesus Christ as our personal savior and to spread his gospel. I would rather support a man for a lifetime in prison so he has a chance at some time to come to faith than to take his life before he can. Of course, I don't think that he should ever be allowed out of prison, because we will never know if someone says he believes that he really does. And if he does, he'll know that he cannot be freed but might find that prison is a perfect mission field for him.

That is how I feel about it.

2 comments:

Suzanne Lanoue said...

I'm glad we agree on something! :)

I don't think they should let violent criminals out, either. Life is prison sounds great for anyone who has committed first or second degree murder. Things like manslaughter, I would hope they would look at what happened and the person's history, etc.

What about the fact that they put lots of people in jail for non-violent crimes like selling or buying drugs? That is so ridiculous and such a huge drain on our prison system financially.

I wish you would join Facebook, it's a lot of fun (more adult than MySpace).

Patrick! said...

If you had any idea what you were talking about when it comes to drugs, you wouldn't feel the same way. There will always be injustices because we are an imperfect people, but drugs are a disease on our society and that is a fact.